If you are a person who is alive and breathing right now, you have chores. Remember when you were a kid and you thought being “grown up” meant no more chores? And the sad thing is, many of us really thought it would be easier and more fun when we were older, because then we wouldn’t have Mom or Dad telling us what to do. Hilarious, isn’t it? Fast forward twenty years, and now the stinky dish filled sink and loads of lethal smelling laundry are telling us what to do. Pass me some Household Hacks! And don’t forget to check out this post if your house has a strange odor!
Since we are a frugal bunch, we want to save time and money. Here are ten ways to “hack” the everyday, regular old chore list. Spend less time on chores and more time on the things that grownups love: i.e. Netflix and napping.
Ten Everyday Household Hacks:
- Stop folding your underwear, ladies! Seriously, hours of your life are wasted as you fold underwear. Just throw them in the drawer, grab and go later.
- Wash your pillowcases inside out. When you put the pillow in the case, it is way easier to roll it up and over the top if it is inside out. Your hands work on the outside of the case, not the inside.
- Use Tang to clean your dishwasher. Dump a quarter cup it in the bottom of the machine, and run it empty. It will help descale the lime and mineral build-up.
- Train yourself to fold laundry as it comes out of the dryer. Better to leave it folded in the basket than all rumpled up and wrinkled as you pull it out to wear it.
- Put dish detergent in a glass olive oil decanter. Look for one at the thrift store or pick up one at Amazon (link below). It needs to have a removable metal pour spout. Add one third dish washing liquid and fill the rest of the bottle with water. It looks pretty, it stretches the dish liquid and you can leave the decanter sitting out on the counter.
- After removing make-up, use the face cloth or wash rag to swipe away the water spots around your sink and counter. It won’t sanitize your counters, but it will tidy them up. Toss rag or throw cloth in laundry.
- For a tidier closet, use matching hangers. They nest better and the spacing of items is more consistent.
- Use your old toothbrush to brush your dog’s teeth. Make sure to use vet approved** toothpaste for your pup.
- Peroxide, hot water and dish soap are great combo to help lighten/remove stains on milk glass or any lighter colored glass dishes. Use a couple squirts of peroxide and a splash of liquid dish detergent. Let the item sit in the hot water mixture for a bit.
- Take uneaten candy, chop it up and toss it into a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe. Works best with plain m&m’s, chopped heath bars and skittles (yuck).
I don’t know anyone who loves spending extra time or money on household chores. Household hacks are like gold to me, I love to learn new ways to free up my resources for more enjoyable pursuits.
Please share your best household hack with me in the comment section. Can’t wait to give your idea a try!
** Here is a great dog toothpaste:
This is what the olive oil bottle should look like:
**This post may contain affiliate links. When you buy something from the link, Midlife Money Tree receives a small amount of money, at no cost to you. Thank you!